Tuesday, October 29, 2013

And so it begins...

It was at the age of 16 that I discovered the film that initiated my adoration for film. That film was Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. I'd seen good movies before that and many great films subsequently, but it was this one that introduced me to Kubrick and the wonder of cinema. 

I'm not saying that A Clockwork Orange is Kubrick's best or essential film, after all I've seen his masterpieces 2001 and Dr. Strangelove and his glorious horror epic The Shining, but A Clockwork Orange brought his body of work to my attention. Moreover, this is also not my review of the film-this is an assessment of the origins of my relationship with the movies. 

My initial viewing of A Clockwork Orange was with equal parts fascination and fright. The aspects of the movie that stick with you long after the film ends is its visuals and soundtrack. Kubrick's camera was magnificent, his choice of music was intriguing. Those who've viewed the film, whether favorably or not, can not forget the looming influence of Beethoven over our hero Alex Delarge or the odd pairing of the song "Singing in the Rain" with a rape scene. And of course, who can forget the language used by the characters in this futuristic London based on the novel by Anthony Burgess. 

Malcolm McDowell's performance as the dastardly Alex is key to the success of the film. His is one of the finest villainous performance I've ever witnessed. His Alex was scary, sly, sarcastic and charming all at the same time. His journey from evil degenerate to brainwashed conformist was unsettling yet captivating as an observer. By the time the film faded to black, I had to snap myself back into reality. 

Great films take you on a brief journey, all your troubles and concerns are left at the ticket booth. Kubrick's films have taught me about this powerful force in filmmaking. His work is a diverse collection of cinematic majesty; a vast universe of characters, places, events, ideas and emotions. From The Killing to Eyes Wide Shut and all points in between, Kubrick has taken the viewer on a journey beyond the imagination. He and so many other filmmakers through out the history of cinema have opened our eyes to the magic and filled our souls with wonder. 

My sixteen year love affair with cinema has provided invaluable experiences and lifelong memories as well as, on a few occasions, the inspiration to better myself. I reflect on the years I've spent watching movies and with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye, I declare that I look forward to the moments I have yet to discover up there on that big, beautifully illuminated, screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment